Haridwar is a major pilgrimage place in the state of Uttarakhand, this city is located in the Shivalik ranges on the right bank of the river Ganges. Haridwar is considered a holy place for Hindus, where people come to pray for the happiness of their families. During the Haridwar Kumbh Mela, lakhs of people come here to take a bath in the river Ganges so that they can wash their sins after attaining salvation. Visit tourist place in Haridwar.
It is said that during the churning of the ocean, drops of nectar fell from the sky at Ujjain, Nashik, Prayagraj and Haridwar. Har ki puri is considered to be the most sacred place here as drops of nectar fell here. Haridwar is considered to be the main center of Kavad Yatra, from here the devotees collect and carry the Ganges water.
There are mainly four major pilgrimage places in Haridwar:
The five must see temples & ghats in Haridwar:
1. Har Ki Pauri Ghat: The first place that all our guests visit in Haridwar is Har Ki Pauri Ghat. Har Ki Pauri is a place where, all the time, devotees come to bathe in the Ganges River to wash away their sins and purify their bodies.
2. Ganga Aarti: In the evening in Haridwar, priests place huge lamps in the Ganges River to offer prayers and sing Sanskrit hymns, and thousands of people attend the event.
The whole atmosphere becomes devotional with the chanting of the bhajans, and the view at the ghat is such that thousands of visitors are mesmerized by the spiritual energy of the place.
3. Mansa Devi Temple: The temple of Mansa Devi is built on a hill and you have to go through a ropeway to reach the temple. It is one of the popular temple in Haridwar, and one of the great temples dedicated to Goddess Manasa, the divine form of Goddess Parvati.
4. Chandi Devi Temple: According to ancient scriptures, it is at this place that Goddess Chandi killed the demons Chanda and Munda. Chandi Devi Temple is extremely popular in Haridwar as it is believed that the wishes of the devotees who come here are fulfilled.
To reach Chandi Devi Temple, you will have to climb a small hill, or take a ropeway which is a more thrilling way to reach the temple. From Chandi Devi Temple, you will see the beautiful city of Haridwar and the flowing river Ganges.
5. Maya Devi Temple: Haridwar was called as Mayapuri and Goddess Maya is the mother goddess of Haridwar. Maya Devi Temple is one of the most visited temples in Haridwar, and is believed to fulfill the wishes of its devotees. Goddess Maya is a divine form of Shakti and this temple is dedicated to her.
Other popular temples to visit in Haridwar:
6. Daksh Prajapati Temple:
It is also called Daksheshwar Mahadev Temple, and the Shivratri festival here is worth seeing. The temple was named after Daksha Prajapati, the father of Goddess Sati. The walls of this temple have stories carved from great Hindu mythology, which are very interesting to see. There are idols of Lord Shiva and Goddess Sati, who are the main deities of this temple.
7. Vaishno Devi Temple: This temple looks like a replica of the famous Vaishno Devi temple of Kashmir. The temple of Goddess Vaishno Devi is one of the most religious places in Haridwar, and also one of the most exciting to visit. Throughout the temple, you have to climb stairs, crawl through tunnels and pass through caves.
8. Bharat Mata Temple: There are many things that make Bharat Mata Temple the most unique place to visit in Haridwar. It is eight storeys high and on each floor you will find a different theme of India displayed through sculptures, paintings and sculptures. Here India is worshiped as Mother Goddess and there is a huge model of the map of India on the ground floor.
9. Pawan Dham Haridwar: Exquisite mirror and glass work that will amaze you at Pawan Dham. This temple is one of the prominent places in Haridwar and here you will see the idols of gods and goddesses, saints in glass boxes with painted mirrors adding to the decoration of the place. The paintings are also made of colored glass, and this is the most attractive. It is one of the temples that you can visit in Haridwar. The sparkling gleam of mirrors and mirrors in this temple will leave you mesmerized.
10. Shanti Kunj: Another place in Haridwar where you will see how ancient Hindu culture and traditions are followed daily is Shanti Kunj. It is a place where training is imparted to students who wish to gain spiritual knowledge and understand the age-old Indian culture.
There are many places within Shanti Kunj like Gayatri Mata Mandir, Akhand Deep, Yoga Shala where you can experience divine powers and peace.
Some of the must-visit ghats in Haridwar are: